Saturday, October 27, 2018

How to Make Chicken Salad

Young Man, you have spent much of the last twenty-some years afraid. Afraid that you aren’t good enough, that you won’t live up to expectations. Afraid of disappointing your father. When you went to college you chose Virginia Military Institute where they promised to make you a man. But they didn’t. You chose to become a Marine where they promised to make you a strong man. But they didn’t. Remember what the Gunny at Office Candidate School said? “You just can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.” Isn’t that what you have always been afraid of?

“Afraid? Not me you crazy old man.” Of course, you’d say that, after all, fear is a weakness and one thing you cannot be is weak.

Perhaps someday, through the miracle of time travel, you will be able to see what I see. That you turned out alright. That your father would be very proud. That he was always very proud. And maybe, just maybe, you will see that you are good enough.

If you could see that, how would that change your life? What could you accomplish if you began to find the personal strength that vulnerability brings? How would it change your future if you were able to be less defensive with others and instead try to really understand them? What they are afraid of? What could you accomplish if what you cared the most about was finding the best answer, not being the best answer?

And I wonder, if you could travel through time, how would it change me today? Do I really know who you are? That was so many years ago. Where did I lose touch with you? I am sorry I let that happen. I have been trying so hard to get to know you again. To understand you. 

So, if someday time travel becomes a reality, and you find yourself here in 2018, I hope we can spend time getting to know each other. I also hope you will get to know Jonathan and Jennifer. You will love them. I could not be prouder of them. They are without question the two biggest blessing in my life.

Today they are exactly where you are in life, and perhaps, you can both learn a thing or two together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Am Pedaling As Hard As I Can

--> I find it harder and harder these days to drive into the gym in the morning. It isn’t that I don’t want to get up or g...